The Campus Safety Officer supports the college in the protection of life and property on the campus and delivers necessary service to assist in the efficient conduct of administrative business. Under the general supervision of the Director ? Campus Safety, the officer maintains safety and security by patrolling areas and enforcing college rules and regulations.
* Patrol, crime prevention, and patrol initiative for fire protection. Requires extensive foot patrol (walking and climbing) throughout the entire 150 acre campus, which includes wooded areas and uneven terrain. Patrol within campus buildings including stairwells, parking lots and roadways.
* Conducts fire watch, safety inspection and hazard prevention. Observes for hazardous conditions, examines doors and windows to ensure security; monitors closed buildings for unauthorized persons and/or suspicious activity.
* Performs security and public safety patrol duties, including checking for fires, vandalism, suspicious activity or safety hazards.
* Performs periodic checks of emergency call boxes and or lights to insure proper functioning; reports malfunctions as required.
* Remains alert for emergency situations and provides first-line response, emergency management, and/or referral to off-campus emergency services, if required.
* Demonstrates good judgment in enforcing campus policies and procedures, and security policies and practices, while maintaining confidentiality in law enforcement and/or security matters.
* Directs traffic and parking control enforcement - Patrols and monitors assigned parking areas to provide public security and assistance. Requires foot and mobile patrol of parking areas, observation of illegal parking violations, and discretionary issuance of parking tickets.
* Implements and enforces college rules. Identifies and reports violations of local and state laws. Requires investigation of, and reporting on, complaints, incidents, violations of college rules and state/local laws.
* Conducts preliminary and follow-up investigations on-site or as assigned, including taking statements from complainants, witnesses.
* Provides service to visitors, faculty, staff and students within the scope of responsibility. May deliver transportation services of injured/sick individuals when an ambulance is not required. This may require lifting capabilities.
* Transports heavy bags of change to and from banks.
* Maintains a professional and tranquil campus. Engages in public and community relations. Responds to complaints of disturbances, fights, suspicious person complaints and emergencies which range from noise complaints to major medical emergencies. (May require running and physical exertion)
* Safeguards and controls loss of campus property.
* Prepares routine, standardized reports and daily logs.
* Furnishes escort services for visitors, employees and students as necessary; provides other assistance such as directions and general information.
* Informs and warns violators of campus policy and procedure infractions.
* Interacts with police, fire and other emergency service providers.
* High school diploma or equivalent.
* Minimum of two (2) years experience in security/law enforcement.
Licenses / Certifications:
* Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license.
* Maintain a New York State Security Guard license
* Ability to be certified in basic first aid and CPR
You must immediately report to your supervisor and/or Human Resources any future infractions that may impact your eligibility to maintain these licenses in good standing. Failure to immediately report any such issue will result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination or employment
* Associates/ Bachelor's degree
* Proficient in use of Microsoft office
* Demonstrated strong student orientation and customer focus.
* A strong service orientation and demonstrated ability to work in a diverse, multicultural community.
* Excellent written and verbal skills.
* Excellent interpersonal skills to work with the College community of students, staff and visitors.
* Employee may be required to work on different shifts, work schedules, and overtime based upon the needs of the college
* Must be able to stand and/or walk for duration of shift (8 hours)
* Must be able to complete walking tours of buildings in a timely manner, including stairwells, without resting
* Must be able to work outdoors for protracted periods, sometimes in extreme temperature.
* Must be physically able to perform CPR
* Must be able to effectively communicate (speak and hear clearly) in person, via telephone and via the radio
* Must be able to effectively respond to emergency situations with all due haste
* Must be able to move 75 pounds and lift 40 pounds
At The Culinary Institute of America, it is important to us that we support our employees with a substantial and meaningful package of benefits. We believe in supporting our employees with benefits to assist with work life balance.
Benefits are offered based on the position type and status. Benefits offered may include;
* Medical and prescription drug plan
* Dental plan, Vision plan
* Insurance: Life, Home, Auto, even Pet!
* Short- and long-term disability plans
* Generous paid time off programs, including paid holidays
* Retirement savings plan 403(b) with company contribution