This position is for a Principal Mechanical Engineer- PTV Lead in our Mechanical Engineering team within the Launch Vehicle Division at our Chandler, AZ facility.
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
The Patriot Target Vehicle (PTV) Lead Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for managing technical, schedule, cost, as well as Mechanical Engineering resources allocated to the Program. This includes identifying and addressing program risks to ensure launch success, facilitating technical solutions based on heritage and similar vehicles, tracking the program schedule, and performing CAM duties. Candidate must have thorough knowledge of launch vehicle mechanical design and integration activities, as well as, strong leadership skills.
Candidate is expected to lead by example, ensure proper cross-training of the team, and make sure the team understands the requirements of the Program and how they relate to the individual tasks that are being assigned to the team. This also includes having periodic meetings with the team to review the ME performance relative to the Program schedule.
1. With no guidance, performs analysis, design, or test of one or more complex materials, structural components or functional systems. Conduct trade studies and evaluate alternative designs.
2. Based on broadly defined problems, studies basic design concepts and criteria for complex materials, components, or functional systems and applies the engineering principles involved to develop new designs.
3. Anticipates customer needs and finds innovative ways to provide for those needs.
4. Originates and develops constructive ideas. Consistently looks for ways to modify or change existing methods or processes to improve outcomes.
5. Perform highly complex engineering design, development, analysis, and test activities to support assigned projects.
6. Determine engineering tasks required for project planning and execution; Analyze project requirements and develop detailed planning, conceptual designs, and risk analysis.
7. Assume CAM responsibilities and EVMS Reporting.
8. Interact with internal and external customers; Assist the customer in defining system requirements and in the generation of specifications for products or sub systems.
9. Provide technical guidance and direction to engineering team in the design, test, production and maintenance phases of a project.
10. Develop and present materials for project related briefings including design reviews to be given to internal and external customers.
11. Support new business and prepare proposal material.
* Candidate must have a minimum of seven years of related experience
* Or equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered
* Launch campaign field support is required at remote site
* Ability to travel 25%
* Hold an active DoD Secret or Top Secret Clearance
* Demonstrated experience supporting integration / testing of flight hardware and oversight of technician work tasking is strongly desired
Researches, plans, designs and develops mechanical products and systems such as instruments, controls, robots, engines, machines and mechanical, thermal hydraulic or heat transfer systems for production, transmission, measurement, and use of energy. Applies research to the planning, design, development, and testing of mechanical and/or electromechanical systems, instruments, controls, engines, and/or machines.
BS Degree Engineering plus 5 years of experience; Masters in Engineering & 3 years or PhD & 0 years.
Demonstrated experience supporting integration / testing of flight hardware and oversight of technician work tasking is strongly desired. Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering degree preferred
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Associated topics: boiler, cae, bsme, design, mechanism, msme, propulsion, rotordynamic, turbine, turbomachinery