In conjunction with the GM, develop strategies and programs to maintain compliance with applicable Norbord and regulatory requirements and achieve World Class safety. Accountable for stewarding implementation of safety management systems and programs to achieve and maintain zero recordable injuries and Norbord Safety Star certification.
* Identify, assess (i.e., measure) and communicate conformance with regulatory and corporate safety expectations.
* Identify safety-training requirements and facilitate development and implementation of safety training programs.
* Develop and implement systems and metrics (leading and lagging) to track and communicate safety performance.
* Develop and steward implementation of strategic safety improvement initiatives to achieve world-class safety culture (as measured by Safety Star certification.)
* Complete requisite regulatory and corporate recordkeeping and reporting requirements.
* Develop strategy to ensure safety is included in operating rhythm (pre-shift meetings, daily management meetings, down-day planning, project planning, etc.)
* Facilitate identification of safety requirements for physical and procedural changes in operations.
* Provide objective feedback to other members of the management team regarding their safety behaviors' and the safety behaviors' of their subordinates.
* Coach individuals (at all levels) to improve safety behavior and performance.
* Develop opportunities and facilitate tracking of employee engagement in safety/safety improvement initiatives.
* Facilitate incident investigation and identification of corrective actions.
* Identify and implement opportunities for improved value and lower costs with respect to safety equipment and supplies.
* Interpret/analyze and report safety KPIs for use by the management team.
* Assess and report on contractor performance.
* Maintain Occupational Health programs (incl. medical surveillance requirements) in conformance with regulatory and Norbord expectations.
* Ensure integrity, identify improvement opportunities in routine risk identification, and control programs (e.g., pre-task risk assessment, development of safe work procedures, etc.)
* Develop and monitor quality and consistency of incident investigation and reporting process.
Minimum qualifications required to successfully perform this role. These qualifications are necessary for someone to be considered for the position. A reasonable accommodation may be allowed for some aspects of the role as determined by Human Resources.
Minimum qualifications include:
* Bachelor's Degree in a safety discipline with 5+ years manufacturing experience OR 10 years of manufacturing management experience; or equivalent combination of training and experience
* Managerial/Supervisory experience (Preferably in Safety)
* Thorough knowledge of Safety concepts and application
* Leadership - ability to lead, take charge, and offer opinions and direction
* Engaging others - ability to set and achieve goals through others
* Innovation - demonstrates creativity and alternative thinking to develop new ideas for and answers to work-related problems
Specialized knowledge or skills needed:
* Knowledge of best practices, principles and methods to achieve a sustained, safe manufacturing environment.
* Leading and setting the example with safety.
* Develop constructive and cooperative working relationships and maintain them over time.
* Analyze data to make informed decisions.
Role requires a person to work in working conditions such as heat, cold, snow, rain, ice, frost, humidity, severe storms and so forth. Special working conditions may include regular evening and weekend work, shift work, working outdoors, working as a team regardless of challenge, and so forth. Exposure to noise, dirt, grease, water and sawdust is common.
Physical ability to perform the essential job functions of the position, which includes climbing stairs, navigating catwalks, working at heights up to 30 feet above the ground, lifting up to 50 pounds (from floor to shoulder height), stooping, and bending, carrying up to 30 pounds at least 40 feet.
This position has no direct reports. Leadership is a key requirement for success in this role.
Position is exempt. Rate of pay is DOE.
At Norbord we offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Interested candidates may apply
Associated topics: climate, environment, environmental, hazard, health, nursing, safe, safety, usda, wwtp