Direct Support Worker
Compensation: $81,560.00 - $114,330.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Loading some great jobs for you...
Program Location: Kea'au on Hawai'i Island Home and Community Based Services
Reports To: Case Coordinator and Tisha Takazawa, Program Manager
Program Hours: 8:00a-4:00p
Available Shifts: 7:00a - 3:45p., Monday through Friday. Schedule is determined on participants service plans and established by Case Coordinator and Program Manager.
Position Status: Non-Exempt, Hourly
EASTERSEALS HAWAIIS MISSION STATEMENT
ESH Hawaii (ESH) provides exceptional, individualized, family-centered services to empower people with disabilities or special needs to achieve their goals and live independent fulfilling lives.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
To promote the individual growth of program participants in a safe and positive learning environment (either in a program or home based setting) with a focus on increasing the participants options, opportunities and community integration with daily life in support of Easterseals Hawaiis mission statement. Depending on the needs of the program and the candidates availability, Direct Support Workers are assigned to a facility or in-home based clientele.
* Provides personal care and assist with daily living activities (toileting, dressing, feeding, etc.) to assigned participants while respecting the participants privacy and confidentiality. Ambulation and transfer by participants needs and plan of care as required and if necessary.
* Provides input on and implements the participants ISP and Individual Plan. This position will provide access to meaningful and age-appropriate activities for participants, give participants choice in activities, and assist participants toward personal independence through self-help, advocacy, social skill training, and coaching participants through challenging behaviors by using Positive Behavior Supports.
* Monitors and responds to the health and safety of participants by observing, addressing and reporting safety concerns or changes in health status, condition, and behavior to the supervisor. This position will participate in safety and emergency drills and training, implement safety procedures and immediately report suspected abuse and neglect as a mandated reporter and as per ESH procedures.
* Timely and accurately completes all participant-related Therapy data and documentation regarding participants goals, programs, and activities, risk management, safety drill records, van check-off lists and participant records including billing data entries, etc.
* Accurately submits time worked/timecards, leave requests, and other payroll documents in a timely manner as required in the Easterseals Hawaii payroll timekeeping system.
* Attend, participate and collaborate in organization as well as department meetings, training, volunteer (and practicum) programs and events
* Assists with other department duties as outline by manager
* Assists in maintaining a clean, hygienic, safe and childproof environment. Reports any safety concerns to the Program Manager.
* Program materials and template documents to carry out assessments or sessions
* Computer software, Microsoft 365 applications and 10 Key Calculator
* Multi-line telephone with intercom system, company issued Ipad (if issued)
* General office equipment
Minimum Education & Experience Equivalent To:
* Must be at least 18 years of age.
* High School diploma, General Equivalency Diploma (GED) or equivalent
* Behavioral management training and/or experience is highly preferred.
* Successfully completed competency test and obtain a Safety Care certification.
* Experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities is highly preferred.
Skills & Abilities:
* Significant knowledge of developmental disabilities, familiarity with ADA guidelines and understanding of the importance of inclusion.
* Sensitive to working with an ethnically, linguistically, culturally, and economically diverse population.
* Clear and concise verbal and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels.
* Ability to exercise confidentiality and discretion pertaining to the work environment and maintain all HIPAA requirements.
* Ability to appropriately interpret and implement policies, procedures, and regulations of ESH; training provided.
* Ability to consistently demonstrate good judgment and decision-making skills.
* A commitment to the values of the organization while demonstrating good judgment, flexibility, patience, and discretion when dealing with confidential and sensitive matters.
* Operating knowledge of a computer, applications and software, standard office equipment and Microsoft (Outlook, Word, and Excel). Must be able to use an iPhone or work cell phone if applicable.
* Ability to work in an exciting, fast-paced high energy environment while effectively multitasking.
* Personable; able to work comfortably with individuals at all levels within the organization.
* Commitment to ongoing training and development as it relates to the position.
* Ability to work calmly with behavioral and health-related incidents.
* Alertness to respond to audio and visual cues from participants and their families, other staff members, and the environment.
* Ability to handle multiple tasks, adhere to timelines, and process urgent projects while maintaining attention to detail.
* Ability to respond appropriately and immediately to emergencies as defined by ESH Emergency Procedure Guide/Safety Manual.
* Logic and reasoning for forecasting future needs, goals, and events.
* Frequent bending, reaching, squatting, kneeling, twisting in order to observe, assess, and interact with participants.
* Ability to stand or sit for extended periods of time, stand for up to 6-8 hours a day.
* Occasional lifting, carrying, pushing and loading of materials up to and including 70lbs.
* Ability to provide assistance during transfers which can range up to 250lbs.
* Visual and auditory ability to work with participants, staff, and others in the workplace continuously.
* Frequent speaking and listening (50%) to participants, staff, and other professionals in meetings and on the phone.
* Frequent driving (to and from office, the community, and participants homes).
* Ability to utilize a computer, iPhone or landline, iPad or tablet, fax machine, and copy machine.
* Frequent exposure to individuals with disabilities; occasional emergency situations; occasional exposure to trauma; constant participant contact and decision making; constant concentration required when working with participants.
* Frequent work inside participants homes and in outdoor settings.
Conditions of Employment:
* Ability to successfully clear and maintain background check clearances through ESH's partnering vendors:
* FBI Criminal reports
* Department of Justice, Hawaii Criminal Justice, Office of Inspector General, National Sex Offender reports in accordance with Federal, State, and Local laws
* Drug Test
* Motor Vehicle Reports
* Ability to travel to multiple work sites, client homes and transport participants:
* Valid drivers license
* Current auto insurance for vehicle used as means of reliable transportation
* Valid vehicle registration and safety check
* Must clear 2-Step TB clearance during pre-employment process and then annual TB testing based on company policies
* Valid First Aid and CPR certificate or card
* Complete Competencies: Safety Care
Easterseals Hawaii is an equal opportunity employer
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...