Dollar General (NYSE: DG) is a Fortune 200 company with more than 15,000 retail locations in 44 states, 15 distribution centers and 130,000 employees that embody our mission of Serving Others each and every day. We work in an energetic atmosphere that embraces innovation, diversity and teamwork, all while keeping our customers and communities at the center of everything we do! At Dollar General, employees have numerous growth and development career opportunities through award-winning training and being part of one of America's fastest-growing retailers. Apply today and let's grow together!
Manage all employees and processes in a high sales volume retail store carrying a balanced combination of food and general merchandise. Responsible for ensuring that store functions are completed including, but not limited to ordering, receiving, stocking, merchandise presentation, staffing, cash handling, shrink control and customer service. In addition to general merchandise, food categories include produce, dry foods, meats, and dairy/frozen foods.
JOB DUTIES and ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
While responsible for all employees and total store processes, the Store Manager's specialized areas include:
* Review operating statements to identify the store's business trends including sales, profitability expense control opportunities, potential shrink improvement, etc. Maintain positive trends and ensure compliance with company Standard Operating Procedures manual, policies and work processes. * Review Ad/Planner ordering plans. * Review Perishable and Food ordering processes to maximize sales and minimize markdowns. * Ensure store meets or exceeds in-stock targets. * Validate (Find - Fill - Fix) processes and 7 day work flow. * Facilitate efficient staging, stocking and storage of merchandise. * Ensure that all merchandise is presented according to established practices and plans. Utilize merchandise fixtures properly including presentation, product pricing and signage. * Control damages and markdowns. * Manages store budget. * Maintain strict cashier accountability, key control, scanning accuracy and adherence to stated company security practices and cash control procedures. * Ensure that qualified and high performing store employees are recruited, interviewed, selected, hired, trained, assigned tasks and retained. * Develop and maintain employee work schedules in coordination with Assistant Manager. * Supervise and ensure Front-End Lead associates as well as authorized key carriers are trained in proper store operations and the supervision of store employees. * Evaluated employee performance and addresses employee performance and/ or conduct issues through coaching, counseling and when necessary the termination process. * Ensure compliance with all federal and state labor laws and company policies. * Recommend pay rates and advancement. * Properly address employee leave requests. * Ensure that staff obtains all required local and state food handling certifications. * Ensure store is appropriately staffed and opened and closed in a timely manner each day based on the store's posted store hours. * Ensure that store regularly meets safety, food handling and sanitation standards. Plan and lead staff meetings and events to encourage safety, security and policies. * Represent store and cooperate with all governmental regulatory agencies. * Communicate and implement corporate and area initiatives relating to human resources, products, pricing and merchandise presentation. * Provide superior customer service leadership. Ensure customers' needs and requests are routinely addressed in an efficient and timely manner. Maintain daily contact with customers to understand merchandise expectations. * Ensure store equipment is adequate and functional to perform required tasks. Recommend additional or alternative equipment if needed. * Confirm paperwork and documentation is completed according to guidelines and deadlines.
KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS:
* Ability to read and interpret operating statements and identify corrective actions to negative trends, if needed. * Knowledge of cash, facility and safety control policies and practices (deposits, store keys, SAFE program, etc.) * Ability to read and interpret documents such as diagrams, health regulations, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedures manuals. * Ability to perform cash register functions to generate reports. * Knowledge of recruiting, interviewing, hiring, counseling and termination practices in compliance with legal company requirements. * Knowledge of all local and state food handling certifications and requirements. * Basic knowledge of personal and network computer systems to communicate with corporate office, to create merchandise signage, to obtain and email data and information, etc. * Ability to perform mathematical calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and percentages. * Knowledge of cash handling procedures including cashier accountability and deposit control. * Knowledge of inventory management and merchandising practices. * Knowledge of food handling, safety and sanitation regulations. * Ability to effectively communicate information and standards verbally and in writing to staff, suppliers and customers. * Ability to interface with staff, suppliers and customers in a respectful and effective manner. * Ability to develop and maintain organization and to attend to detail. * Ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of situations relating to store operations and business relationships. * Ability to obtain the required local and state food handling management certifications.
WORK EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
* High school diploma or equivalent. Post secondary business school training preferred. * Five or more years of retail store experience. Experience to include at least one to two years as a store manager, or similar position in a retail grocery store or equivalent type operation, with a preferred sales volume of over $250,000 per week, or a current DG Market Assistant Manager with similar experience.
* Frequent walking and standing. * Frequent bending, stooping and kneeling to run check out station, stock merchandise and unload trucks. * Frequent handling of merchandise and equipment such as hand-held scanner, pricing guns, box cutters, merchandise containers, two-wheel dollies, and U-boats (six-wheel carts). * Frequent and proper lifting of up to 40 pounds; occasional lifting of up to 55 pounds. Occasional climbing using ladder. * Regularly driving/providing own transportation to make bank deposits and occasionally to attend management meetings and to other Dollar General stores. * Fast-paced environment; moderate noise level. * Occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. * Occasionally exposed to slippery floor surfaces. * Occasionally exposed to skin irritants, toxins and hazardous cleaning solutions. * Occasionally exposed to hazardous equipment with moving mechanical parts.
Dollar General Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.
Associated topics: assistant manager, assistant store manager, department supervisor, director, major gifts officer, sales lead, shift supervisor, store manager, store supervisor, team lead
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.