Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy's Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science-from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
NSLS II has an opening for a Mechanical Utilities Technician. The Group is responsible for installation, operation, maintenance and repair of all water systems, cooling towers, heat exchangers, closed loop cooling/air and gas systems and prosses distribution piping to magnets, power supplies, RF cavities and various experimental equipment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Candidate will operate, repair, maintain, assemble and install all air/water systems and associated sub systems at NSLS II.
* Candidate should be able to fabricate and modify unique equipment and assemblies that support water systems.
* Candidate should be available for emergency call-in for all utilities system repairs, trips/faults or unplanned water system related events.
* Candidate will be capable of working independently and May direct and coordinate the work efforts of other technical support personnel assigned to a specific project.
* Successfully complete periodic training and pass testing on BNL environmental, health and safety rules.
* Responsible for following rules and keeping refresher training up to date.
* Candidate will be required to meticulously maintain to the highest standards of safety and adherence on all water systems applicable procedures and policies.
* Equivalence of a technical institute or associate's degree in a related scientific or engineering field, and six (6) years of relevant work experience.
* Broad experience as a plumber and extensive knowledge of plumbing trade best practices.
* Relevant work experience including maintenance and troubleshooting of mechanical process water related systems.
* Ability to demonstrate expertise in the operation, maintenance and repair of pumps, process piping systems, cooling towers, heat exchangers and deionizers
* Ability to demonstrate mastery of industrial process water treatment systems, high purity, pH and resin bed exchange systems and water sampling methods.
* The ability to work accurately from drawings and schematics and interpret technical specifications.
* Experience with the use of common electrical test equipment.
* Must be able to solder and silver braze including plumbing and tubing work such as flaring and bending.
* Familiarity with computers and computer-generated drawings.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Must be committed to working safely under strict guidelines.
* Must be self-motivated.
* Wiring and cable termination knowledge a plus.
* Experience with laser alignment and high tolerance rotating assemblies.
* Knowledge of NYS cooling tower maintenance and cleaning requirements
Knowledge and application of practical principles in specific disciplines such as HVACR
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
* VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Associated topics: aerodynamic, automotive, cae, machine, mechanical engineer, msme, proe, propulsion, thermal, turbine